Thursday, January 7, 2010

Purple Plastic Barbi Saab

On my drive today I saw a black pickup truck with large purple flames painted on the hood and sides, that was as retro as Kurt Russel in "Escape from LA". That reminded me that today is the last deadline for saving Saab from certain death, a little sad. I miss my good old 900 from 1981, that was a great car. It way ahead of it's time in cockpit design, just a shame I never got around to changing the shocks. There was a reason I called it my boat, as I was floating around on the highways. It was almost as cool as my sisters "purple plastic Barbie" 900. Needless to say, it helps to be dating a dude that works in a car paint shop. I wonder how many layers of clear paint and glitter was on her poor old car. It definitely looked different, the coolest thing around at the time.

Right now, the coolest thing around is "a dark matter halo surrounds us like a deflated beach ball around a dinner plate". That's the chatter today, as astronomers are analyzing and theorizing about data of the stuff that surrounds our milky way. I am starting to wonder if I shouldn't change fields and abandon the software industry. But then again, perhaps that gets old after a while too. No matter what, I can't help to wonder what life would look like if I had worked at CERN on the LHC. Would I then have been trying to convince people that a man-made singularity won't swallow the earth, instead of convincing people that the millennium bug won't cause the planet to go back to the black ages? Same same I guess...

No comments:

Post a Comment