Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Google G-Drive Coming?

Today started well, as I came across an article that indicated that Google's GDrive was closer to becoming a reality. A while back, I looked at a number of online backup solutions and although Amazon S3 was a close favorite, I decided to increase my data space at Google since I use Picasa extensively. To my dismay, it turned out that uploading my photos via Picasa would automatically convert RAW into JPEG. However, today I read that the new Google Docs file uploader will allow unconverted upload of any file, and I felt like a king. Especially since through the Google Docs API, I will be able to upload any file I want to the Google cloud storage service. A few companies have already added support for Google in their file sync programs, and I didn't feel too stupid about paying for 200GB of space at Google. That feeling didn't last long though, as the new functionality will start rolling out to Google Apps enterprise customers, and I purchased my space for my private account, and not my corporate account. It does make me think though, now that I am actively using Google Voice for all my calls in and out, and just ordered a Nexus for my mobile needs, did I just become the newest Google whore?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-10432746-248.html

No comments:

Post a Comment